Feeds:
Posts
Comments

Archive for December, 2014

Quilted Tablet Cover

I received a new to me book on Amish quilting, and one of the patterns drew me in immediately. Roman stripes, half triangles, on point. I immediately started pulling from my scraps and randomly piecing. I had the funnest time, and would love to make bigger blocks into a bigger quilt! Using scraps was actually really inefficient, the method described in the book of using long lengths of fabric makes a lot more sense. Hmm, think I need to dye more fabric …

IMG_2676I also recently purchased a new tablet, and instead of purchasing a cover I wanted to make one myself! In my usual fashion, I turned to pinterest to look for patterns. I found several good ones, and what I made was a bit of a conglomeration of a few different techniques and styles.

IMG_2674

To make the case hard, I took a plastic file folder, traced the shape of my tablet, and cut a front and back. I made the edges round like the tablet, in the edges toward the inside straight. I also cut a small narrow spine, but ended up deciding not to use it.

IMG_2675I then took the plastic cover pieces, and used them as a guide to cut a lining of muslin. I added a quarter inch seam allowance around the edge.

IMG_2677I used the muslin as a pattern to cut out the quilted piece for the outside fabric of the cover. I lightly pinned the two layers so they wouldn’t shift, and quilted with perle cotton straight diagonal lines, following the direction of the pieced roman stripes. It was fun to alternate quilting thread colors, and make dense textured fabric.

IMG_2679

I also cut out an inside lining fabric, choosing a hand dyed bright green. Before sewing the front and the back together, using the tablet to adjust, I sewed on four elastic corners to hold the tablet to the case. I cut small strips and estimated their position, then lightly stay stitched by hand all four down, checking their position and tightness as I went. When I was happy, I ran over each with the machine to secure. The edges were raw, but since they are covered by the tablet and weren’t seen, I didn’t bother with trying to make look more professional.

IMG_2680

Then I sewed the front to the back, turned inside out, and stuffed with the two hard plastic covers. To keep them from shifting, I sewed two seams down the middle. I decided not to use another plastic piece for the spine, as the folding fabric seemed enough and extra not needed.

IMG_2681

I then hand stitched the opening closed, and my tablet was finished! The minimalist design and lightweight materials make it really easy to hold. The cover isn’t one hundred percent durable, but I feel it does an adequate job of protecting the device. And, as it sits on my coffee table, I get to admire the hand dyed quilted fabrics! Double wonderful!

 

 

Advertisements

Read Full Post »

I started noticing that my ironing board cover started to look a little worse for the wear … sun faded in a few spots, and even a few holes starting to show through! I love my sewing studio because it is all windows, but it also means that fabric fades, especially in our 365 days of desert sun a year! I made the ironing board cover in 2011 – so it lasted three years! I also recently purchased a new sewing machine, and the cover from my old one didn’t fit the new one. Living in a desert is also very dusty! The wind somehow seems to blow sand everywhere, and a machine cover is a must!

PicMonkey Collage

I’ve also been dreaming of the flying geese quilt block, and I have been pinning flying geese quilt a lot on Pinterest! (I like to call the quilt block wild geese … makes me imagine birds migrating in a wide open blue sky …) I saw this awesome quick method to make four flying geese from five squares, so one day I just grabbed a few fabric scraps and gave it a whirl – and then was hooked.

IMG_2621-2Pretty soon I was was pulling more scraps and more scraps, stitching and stitching, until I had a nice tidy pile of geese.

IMG_2623-2

I started to lay them out, playing with colors and arrangements. It was somewhere around this time that I started to think – studio makeover! I could make a new sewing machine cover and ironing board cover! At that point there was no stopping me. I had a plan.

IMG_8980Things got a little scrappy – I mostly dye in fat quarters, so I didn’t have any one color with enough to make the entire thing. So I patched similar colors together!

IMG_2629-2My first batch of geese was exactly the right amount to cover the front of my sewing machine. You might notice I changed my mind from my first layout, to having them flying in opposite directions.

IMG_8976I love the way the simple geometric pattern allows the color to pop and create the movement.

IMG_8989Then on to my ironing board cover. I made another set of geese, this time to run in a long stripe across the ironing board, leaving most of the board plain fabric for ironing.

IMG_8981Again, I got scrappy! But I like it. And since then, ironing my projects on the board has been a joy!

IMG_8991

Studio ready for the next project!

Actually, I’ve been quite busy with Christmas crafting, can’t wait to show you after the gifts are delivered!

 

Read Full Post »